About the MAP
In Greece, the University of Athens (UA) coordinates the South Aegean Multi–Actor Platform, which operates at the regional level.
Characterised by a low levels of education, high degree of unemployment and depopulation, and a traditional economy based on low-tech sectors, the region’s most important sector is tourism followed by trade, transportation services and real estate activities. Within the manufacturing sector, dominated by small firms, the most important industries are the food and beverages, textiles, manufacture of products of wood & cork and manufacture of other non-metallic mineral products. These local firms, however, have not managed to exploit economies of scale due to their size and their relative isolation and so far, have found difficulties in exploiting public funding for their modernisation and incorporation into national or international value chains.
For all these reasons, the MAP will focus on employment, reskilling, upskilling, entrepreneurship, short supply chains/sustainable value chains.
The activities of this MAP are designed to achieve the following specific objectives:
- MAP objective 1: Explore challenges and opportunities related to the topic.
- MAP objective 2: Identify possible interventions for exploiting research, technology and innovation achievements, placing emphasis on the region’s strengths (renewable energy resources, ecologically important areas).
- Map objective 3: Bring together society (in all their diversity) with national, regional and local authorities and the industry working closely with EU institutions, and consultative bodies, to enhance the sustainability of the region.
- Map objective 4: Investigate pathways and transitions towards a sustainable rural development mindset (in adherence to Green Deal’s Farm to Fork strategy, and the biodiversity strategy).
- Map objective 5: Gathering knowledge from members of the local society in relation to employment, entrepreneurship, local food value chains.
- Map objective 6: Drawing MAP Position Paper.
- Map objective 7: Contributing to knowledge exchange on the topic at the regional level.
Stakeholders from society, policy and science.